Friday, June 10, 2022

Book Review: The English Novel by Terry Eagleton

Hello and welcome back. I am here for all of you with yet another book review. This book once again took a long time to finish as it had many chapters involved in it.

So, the book that I am going to review today is Terry Eagleton's The English Novel. It is a great book for students who are pursuing their bachelor's or master's degrees in English. Even those who have not studied English as a subject in their college days can find many interesting things in this book.

Now, let's start our book review.



In this book, Eagleton starts off by giving us a general introduction to the novel form. He gives out several definitions that help us understand what exactly is a novel. He also traces the history of the novel and how it came to entertain the masses in earlier centuries.

After a full introduction to the novel, he has then divided the book into fourteen chapters. Each chapter either deals with one or two novelists in a single chapter.

The first chapter is about Daniel Defoe and Jonathan Swift and the last chapter is about Virginia Woolf.

In each chapter, Eagleton has described the cultural and political scenario of the novelists' age and then has explained the style of the novelists themselves.

It is a very informational book and needs to be presented to every student. Even casual readers can enjoy this masterpiece.

If my readers have read Eagleton's Literary Criticism, then they will love reading this book as well.

As the chapter on Virginia Woolf ends, there is a post-script that has described the current state of the novel.

It says that after the publication of James Joyce's novel, Finnegans Wake, no other powerful novel has been able to disturb the scenario of English literature.

I certainly liked the massive information that this book has given me. I thoroughly enjoyed the book although it took a lot more time than I wanted to finish. I thought that I would be able to finish it quickly within a month and a half's time. But, it took me more time as I was stuck with lots of work in both of my jobs.

Actually, my jobs don't allow me to have me-time. I now crave my karaoke sessions as well as keyboard sessions.

Like I said in my previous blog as well, I have very much lagged behind in my reading. But, I am trying to achieve the goal of finishing a book fast enough so I can bring all my readers some lovely blogs.

If you liked my review, then, please do check out The English Novel by Terry Eagleton. It has tons of information to keep you occupied for hours on end.

The English Novel by Terry Eagleton (For International Readers)

https://www.amazon.com/English-Novel-Introduction-Terry-Eagleton/dp/1405117079/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2LMQORD4J2VCN&keywords=the+English+novel+by+terry+eagleton&qid=1654844403&sprefix=the+english+novel+by+terry+eagleton%2Caps%2C299&sr=8-1

The English Novel by Terry Eagleton (For Indian Readers)

https://www.amazon.in/English-Novel-Introduction-Terry-Eagleton/dp/8126533994/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3S7FNRVK0VH6N&keywords=the+english+novel+terry+eagleton&qid=1654844462&sprefix=%2Caps%2C266&sr=8-2

No comments:

Post a Comment